Hello everyone and welcome on my blog. My first blog post is going to be about 3 IT failures, that is a bit close to me. I hope you will enjoy my writing. You can find all the materials I used on the bottom.

Let me start with a fresh 2020 failure; Cyberpunk 2077

It was reasoned that we except the highest quality after games like the Witcher series from CD Project Red.
The hype around this game was massive since 2013, however when the game came out the players were not that satisfied, even if the game was the fastest selling game of all-time. Originally Cyberpunk was designed to Playstation 4, however it doesn’t have enough power to run a massive game like this.
Because of this, creators decided to lower the quality at some places to help rendering the maps.
Do you know what happened? Let me show you on a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqEMEjJj4hs
Not only that, but the developers had to work overtime, still did not get any payment for those hours and everything is burning around CD Project Red. Shortly after release, they decided to refund everyone and Cyberpunk is not available on Playstation store currently, because they are trying to fix bugs.
Although, it is not going that well yet. Do you think we can get the promised game soon?
I don’t think so.

Let me show you an other example, about how it should be done, if you release a game that is far away from expected. The next game is; No-Mans-Sky

Hello Games promised a few things like multiplayer, tons of UNIQUE auto-generated planets etc..
They promised an AAA (the highest quality at game industry) game at release, however when It came out (2016)
it was roughly an AA. No multiplayer, planets looked pretty much the same and it had many annoying bugs. Reason behind was that, an indie studio created it with less than 10 people and they should have had around 100 to keep the promises. Anyway, they have made really nice discounts on the game and started to update it, until the looked like it should have at release. I don’t know exactly when, but around 2019 the game did a massive comeback and also added a free VR DLC upgrade.
I respect Hello Games for their hard work and I hope CD Project Red will follow their idea.
I can only recommend No Man’s Sky for everyone, to pick it up and give it a try.

I don’ want to stick with games, however I really like the game industry, so let me bring you a hardware failure (on the market), which is still related to gaming; Playstation Vita

Playstation Vita is a handheld game console by Sony that came out in 2011. Sony had high hopes for Vita, because Playstation Portable(PSP) was a HUGE success. I can only share my personal problems.
At PSP it was nice, we could play the same games as we had on Playstation 2. In vita, there were only a few games out and they were completely different from Playstation 3. Of course because its hardware was far weaker from it.
It would not be that big problem, but it first came out with a wireless version, so we could only play it from home and it is not why we would buy a Playstation Vita.
Shortly after if I remember correctly, Sony released a cellular data version, where we could put in a SIM Card and play online. The problem was that, in 2011-2012 everyone was happy even if they had 1GB of cellular data.
No one wanted to spend it on games and we needed to have another SIM card.
Single player games were expensive, not like at PSP. I think if Sony would release a handheld console around now, it would be a huge success, but I did not hear any news about it.

I hope you enjoyed my writing!
Dominik Kovacs, 27.01.2020

Sources:

Cyberpunk 2077 was Doomed to Fail From the Start | by Adam Koscielak | Dec, 2020 | Medium

Was No Man's Sky a disappointment? - Quora

List of commercial failures in video games - Wikipedia


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

History and importance of Voice Recognition

Ergonomics example